Seminar

admin Apr 15, 2024 15:27:41
0 30
Date 2024-04-17 
Time 16:00 
Title How well can AI guide the synthesis of new materials? A view from the laboratory 
◆ 일시 : 2024년 04월 17일 (수)  오후 4시
◆ 장소 : W1-1 제2세미나실
◆ 연사 : Joshua Schrier(Fordham University)
◆ 주제 : How well can AI guide the synthesis of new materials? A view from the laboratory
◆ 주관 : 신소재공학과 서동화 교수

◆ 초록
How well can AI guide the synthesis of new materials? A view from the laboratory.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly used by chemists and materials scientists in the design of new materials. How well do these methods work for guiding laboratory experimentation? In this talk, I will describe efforts to benchmark AI-based experiment planning methods for the exploratory synthesis of novel metal halide perovskitoid bulk solids, as well as related studies on crystallization modification additives and ligands for nanocrystals. I will describe how a combination of laboratory automation and comprehensive data capture enabled us to extract new scientific insights, develop and test new active and meta-learning algorithms, and compare a variety of algorithms in an experimental setting. I will describe some recent generalizations of this approach to perovskite nanocrystal ligand selection and rare-earth element separations.  Finally, I will comment on some of the limitations of existing AI methods for discovering new materials, and highlight possible research directions for improving the algorithms.