Seminar

3월 4일 (화) 개최되는 봄학기 신소재공학과 정기세미나를 아래와 같이 안내해드립니다.

= 아 래 =

1. 일 시 : 2014. 3. 4 (화), 16:00 ~
2. 장 소 : 응용공학동 1층 영상강의실
3. 연 사 : 신병하 교수 (KAIST 신소재공학과)
4. 제 목 : Earth-abundant solar cell materials: the current state and future prospects
5. 발표내용요약(Abstract)

The ultimate goal of a photovoltaic (PV) technology is the economic scaling from individual devices to the production of power at the terawatt level. All of the available absorber materials for commercial solar cells have serious drawbacks for truly large scale (>50GWp/yr), and economically viable (<$0.5/W module) deployment. For example, crystalline silicon is expensive and has a poor absorption coefficient,and CdTe and Cu(Ga,In)Se2 have toxicity and elemental scarcity issues due to which they will not sustain production rates beyond 10-15 GWp/yr. As a result, there is a critical need for the development of materials that consist of earth-abundant and non-toxic elements as well as show a promise to high efficiency devices. Among several candidates, Kesterite compound, Cu2ZnSnS4 (CZTS) emerged as the most promising one— based on the annual production data of elements constituting CZTS, there is enough material available to sustain >100,000 TWh/yr production, and efficiencies over 10 % have been already demonstrated. However, there have been recognized some fundamental issues that might potentially limit the ultimate performance of the CZTS technology, most notably the facile formation of anti-site defects involving Cu and Zn. Hence, there is a need for developing new solar energy materials that possess all the benefits of the CZTS (i.e. earth-abundance, non-toxic, and low-cost) while suppress the formation of defects adversely affecting the performance of resulting devices. In this talk, I will discuss the development of the CZTS technologies focusing on the factors that limit the device performances. Then, I will introduce new earth-abundant solar energy materials that I believe have a potential to outperform CZTS.