Seminar

Date 2016-10-19 

[Special Seminar]

□ Topic : Opto-Analytical Spectroscopy, Imaging, and Sensing (OASIS)

□ Speaker :

Prof. Wei-Chuan Shih (Departments of Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Houston)

□ Date : 2016. 10. 19(Wed) 11:00 ~

□ Venue : KAIST Applied Engineering B/D(W1-1) #1318

□ Host : Prof. Jung, Yeon Sik

□ Abstract :

Light matter interaction can provide rich compositional information from various types of samples in a non-invasive fashion. Our laboratory has developed a broad range of opto-analytical spectroscopy, imaging, and sensing (OASIS) technologies with core innovations in nanomaterial, device, and instrumentation. In this talk, I will first report our work in spectroscopic sensing and imaging using various light-matter interactions as contrast mechanisms. I will use non-invasive glucose sensing as a potentially high-impact application. I will then report a novel class of nanoporous plasmonic materials and their use on Chem/Bio sensing in some cases at the single molecule level. I will discuss their potential uses in biomedical and environmental applications, in particular, the potential translation into point-of-care, low-cost, distributed, and wearable devices. I will close by sharing our recent exciting journey with DotLens Smartphone Microscopy in terms of the invention and potential impact in formal and informal K-12 STEM education, citizen science, as well as other practical and research applications.