Time 10:00 
Title New Materials Discovery by Molecular-beam Epitaxy 
■ 일     시 : 2022년 12월 7일(수) 오전 10시

■ 장     소 : 신소재공학과 이루자회의실 (3405호)

■ 제 목 : New Materials Discovery by Molecular-beam Epitaxy

■ 연 사 : Hanjong Paik 교수 / University of Oklahoma

■ H o s t  : 홍승범 교수

Abstract  :
The synthesis of complex oxide thin films by the molecular-beam epitaxy (MBE) technique provides
a great potential for unleashing novel and hidden properties of the material from the dull ground
states. Especially, when it utilizes the lattice coherency from the substrates, i.e., strain, the properties
of oxide thin films can be dramatically altered in comparison to their bulk form. Occasionally, this
approach results in metastable phase and pseudomorphic polymorphism, thus, introducing the unexpected
emergent properties owing to the power of epitaxial-strain-symmetry-stabilization at the interface.
Therefore, the oxide thin-film approach for new quantum material discovery will be the ultimate platform
for the fundamental study of new quantum phenomena at the surface and interface.
In this talk, I would like to present how ozone-assist oxide MBE can be useful to discover new material
properties, especially, relevant to the strongly correlated electronic system. I will talk about (1) room
temperature high-electron-mobility and its 2DEG behavior of the perovskite stannate interface for the
transparent power electronics (2) how simple metal ruthenium dioxide becomes a superconductor via.
strain-stabilization, and (3) realization of epitaxial topological crystalline insulator Sr3SnO anti-perovskite
system with in-situ spectroscopy. In addition to describing the above material synthesis and characterization,
I also would like to discuss several challenging materials systems, for example, some cubic-to-hexagonal
perovskite polymorphic systems, noble pyrochlore oxides system, and materials growth challenges containing
alkaline metal elements (i.e., Li-, K-, Na- containing material system) for the fundamental study of
quantum materials.