Speaker: 강희민 교수 (고려대학교 신소재공학부)

■ Date and time: 10/13 (Tue) 16:00 - 17:30

Host: 신병하 교수

■ Venue: Remote lecture

Link: https://kaist.zoom.us/j/8080757553 

ID: 808 075 7553

PW: 2020mse

Abstract :  

Cells dynamically interact with native nanostructured extracellular matrix at the molecular level. Developing remotely and actively controllable nanoengineered biomaterials can help to manipulate and understand nanoscale and dynamic cell-material interactions. In this talk, I will first present dynamic molecule release from biomimetic nanominerals for stem cell engineering. I will then demonstrate the design of nanoengineered biomaterials that can be remotely controlled by various stimuli, such as magnetic field, light, self-assembly, and ultrasound.

I will show in situ sliding, alignment, uncaging, oscillation, and uncaging of ligand-presenting materials in various nanostructures to magnetically regulate stem cell adhesion, mechanosensing, and differentiation as well as macrophage adhesion and polarization. I will also show real-time sensing and imaging of nanomaterials and cells. Next, I will demonstrate the use of upconversion nanoparticles for near-infrared light-controlled intracellular molecular delivery and photoisomerization. I will finally present the use of reversible nanomaterial self-assembly to regulate cyclic adhesion and release of macrophages and their polarization. We plan to further develop novel surface-nanoengineered materials that are remotely controllable on demand for non-toxic and patient-tailorable biomedical applications.