Seminar

Date 2018-09-04 

MSE Regular Seminar

■ Title :  Engineering of Semiconductors at the Atomic Scale 

■ Speaker : Prof. Kibum Kang (KAIST, MSE)

■ Date and Time :  9/4 (Tue) 16:00

■ Venue :  Applied Engineering Building (W1) 1st floor, Multimedia Lecture Room

■ Abstract :  High-performance semiconducting films with precisely engineered thicknesses and compositions are essential for developing next generation electronic devices, which are becoming more integrated, complex, and multifunctional. In this talk, I will introduce the novel processes that enable atomic-scale control of the thickness and spatial composition of semiconducting films on the wafer-scale. These processes include: (i) the wafer-scale generation of 2D semiconductors such as transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs) via metal-organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD), (ii) the atomic-level engineering of vertical thickness and composition through the layer-by-layer assembly of TMD monolayers, and (iii) the transfer of atomically engineered films, using their van der Waals nature, onto arbitrary substrates. These capabilities provide a new material platform for both fundamental research and practical applications, including incorporation into existing integrated circuit technology to form hybrid materials (i.e. TMD/CMOS) and boost electrical and optical functionality.