Seminar

6월 7일 (목) 개최되는 신소재공학과 특별세미나를 아래와 같이 안내해드립니다.

= 아 래 =

1. 일 시 : 2012. 6. 7 (목), 11:00 ~
2. 장 소 : KI Building Lecture Room B (3th Floor)
3. 연 사 : Prof. Shyni Varghese (Univ. of California, San Diago)
4. 제 목 : Engineering the Interface: From Stem Cells to Smart Biomaterials
5. 발표내용요약(Abstract)

Interfaces play an important role in a wide spectrum of cellular processes ranging from cell adhesion to tissue morphogenesis. Designing functional interfaces integrating multiple components and structures plays a pivotal role in successful outcome of regenerative medicine approaches. In this talk, I will discuss the engineering of the cellmatrix and cell-cell interfaces to control stem cell fate. In particular, I will talk about our recent efforts in the development of biomaterials with defined physico-chemical properties for controlling various cellular processes, with an emphasis on ex vivo expansion of human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs), tissue specific differentiation of stem cells, and in vivo engraftment of transplanted cells. These synthetic biomaterials serve as excellent platforms for studying molecular mechanisms that regulate stem cell proliferation and differentiation. Moreover, these cost-effective and scalable biomaterials that recapitulate various attributes of the native extracellular matrix could accelerate the translational potential of hPSCs. Finally, I will also talk about how interfacial engineering can be exploited to create self-healing, biomimetic materials.