Seminar

Date 2016-10-04 

■ Topic : Metamaterials and metadevices for extreme control and manipulation of light

■ Speaker : Prof. Junsuk Rho (Dept. of ME/CE, POSTECH)

■ Invitation : Prof. Seokwoo Jeon

■ Date & Time : October 4 (Tue) 16:00

■ Venue : KAIST Applied Engineering B/D(W1), Multimedia Lecture Hall (1st Floor)

■ Abstract :

Metamaterials, artificially structured nanomaterials, have enabled unprecedented phenomena such as invisibility cloaking and negative refraction. In this talk, I will discuss our efforts in achieving the unique optical property overcoming diffraction limit to achieve several extraordinary nanodevices demonstration. First, I will present super-resolution imaging device called hyperlens, which is the first experimental

demonstration of near- to far-field imaging at visible light with resolution beyond the diffraction limit in two lateral dimensions. Second, I will show another unique application of metamaterials for miniaturizing optical cavity, a key component to make lasers, into the nanoscale for the first time. Third, I will show the recent achievements of chirality-assisted photo-induced switching of reconfigurable negative index metamaterial device and large scale negative index metasurface with anomalous spin-hall effect. Finally, I will show how those proof-of-concepts in scientific level can be applied to real engineering applications as a solution in current nanoscience and nanotechnology. It will include the examples of high-resolution and

high-throughput flying head nanolithography, super-resolution real time bioimaging applications and scalable manufacturing methods for future nanosciencne where metamaterials becomes metadevices. I believe our efforts in sub-wavelength metamaterials and scalable manufacturing methods will lead extreme light control and manipulation with development of metamaterials and metadevices, and further advanced nanophotonics, nanomaterials and nanomanufacturing.